Academic Regulations


Students are enrolled in Hayward University Master of Theology (MTh) and are responsible for knowing and meeting all degree requirements outlined in the University Catalog at the time they commenced their studies at the Hayward University. They may elect instead to complete the requirements in the most recent Catalog.



The Master of Theology (MTh) requires the completion of at least 32 semester hour credits of graduate level study including all courses listed for the degree. In order to graduate, students must meet the following requirements:

Complete a minimum of 32 approved credits.

Complete the eight core courses with a grade of C (2.00) or better in each course.

Complete a minimum of three approved graduate elective courses with a grade of C (2.00) or better in each course.

Earn a grade of B (3.00) or better in the capstone project/course.

Earn an overall CGPA of 2.50 or higher for all graduate level coursework completed.

Complete all requirements for the MTh in no more than 25 terms of active enrollment including any periods of separation from the University.



Full-time graduate students may enroll in up to 4 courses per term, and part-time students may enroll in 1 or 2 courses per term. The following registration restrictions apply:

Students who maintain a cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of ≥ 3.75 may register for up to four (4) courses per term.

Students who maintain a cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of ≥ 2.50 and ≤ 3.74 may register for up to two (2) courses per term.

Students on Academic Warning and/or have a CGPA below 2.50 may only register and/or be enrolled in one (1) course per term.

Students whose CGPA falls at the end of a given term to below the minimum CGPA required to be enrolled in the allowed number of courses for the following term, will be required to cancel courses by the first day of the term. Those who fail to meet this requirement to reduce their course load according to the stated policy will be automatically removed from any excess courses by the Office of Student Services.

Students whose CGPA improves at the end of a given term, which would otherwise allow them to register for additional courses for the next term, will not be able to add additional courses during late registration. They will be required to wait until registration opens during the 5th week of the following term to register for the additional number of allowed courses.



Students must complete all requirements for all graduate degree programs in no more than 25 terms of active enrollment including any periods of separation from the University when a student is out of residence. Out of residence refers to the number of terms that a student has been inactive at the University— either unenrolled from the institution and/or enrolled at Hayward University without completing any course work in the intervening terms (that is, enrolled but active), and/or on a Leave of Absence.

All coursework for Graduate Degree Programs must be completed within 5 years (60 months) after the student’s initialmatriculation in the graduate degree program.Time to degree will vary by student and depend in great part on whether a student studies full-time or part-time and whether or not they enroll for all five terms in every academic year.

Students who enroll full-time can complete the MTh in six consecutive terms of study;

Students who enroll in continuous part-time study can complete the MTh in two and a half calendar years (30 months).



1.Students exceeding the permissible number of terms of active enrollment without completing all their degree requirements will be administratively withdrawn from the University.

2.Extensions to the time to complete a degree will be considered on a case-by-case basis, upon proof of extenuating circumstances, and will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis by appealing for reinstatement within 30 days of the withdrawal notice.

3.There are no special charges or fees associated with making a request for a special review or for extending enrollment.



Hayward University employs a system of assigning course credit hours to all courses to track student achievement. The semester hour is used to quantify and represent the time an average student is expected to be actively engaged in the educational process. It represents a reasonable expectation of the time it will take the average student to achieve the stated learning outcomes in a course.

All learning takes place online, and Hayward University awards academic credit upon the successful completion of a course. It is university policy that every semester hour is equivalent to a minimum of 45 hours of work for students during the course of the 9-week term, of which at least 15-17 hours must be spent in active academic engagement in addition to the remaining hours of additional preparation required to complete all of the academic work both comprising and representing the corresponding credit hours.

Hayward University awards academic credit to its students upon the successful completion of a course. The number of credit hours is determined by the amount of time in which the student is academically engaged plus the amount of time that a student is expected to commit to class preparation. Students are generally expected to spend 2-3 hours of preparation for every hour spent in activeengagement. Thus, for a 9-week, 3-credit course, students should expect to spend approximately 15-17 hours a week engaged in course work (about 10-11 hours of independent work, 5-6 hours of active engagement) over the course of a term, for a total of 135-150 hours.

Rules governing the assignment of course credit hours are monitored by the Associate Provost of Academic Affairs. Guidance in complying with this policy is provided in the Course Development Guide and the Faculty Handbook.



An academic record is maintained for each student enrolled in a Graduate Degree Program, and the student's work will be graded and recorded in accordance with the policies of the University outlined in the Catalog. Students may request a copy of the official transcript of their academic work at Hayward University by following the instructions for requesting a transcript outlined in the Catalog.

Credits earned at Hayward University may be transferable to other institutions. Students wishing to transfer Hayward University Graduate credits to another institution should check with the receiving institution regarding its transfer credit policies.